Sunday, June 01, 2008

WWU Women's Crew has just won Division II Nationals for the fourth year in a row! I wanted to watch live online, but found the Duxbury Free Library closed for the day after I walked a half hour to get there, plenty early, so I walked home, got into the rental sports car and headed to French Memories Bakery, which doesn't have wi fi, Dunkin' Donuts, which doesn't have wifi. One of the kids working there said the "Big Starbucks" in Marshfield has wi fi. The shift supervisor gave me directions that omitted certain facts that put me behind time-wise, for example, do not take the first W 139 exit you come to or you will wander through a half hour of back country that, while pretty, is keeping you from watching the DII 4's final and the DII 8's petite final. I ended up having to buy a day pass to use the Starbuck's wi fi once I got here, which I think is insulting, expensive and highway robbery (hiway 139W, Marshfield, Mass.) I was able to "watch" the WWU girls (women!) win for the fourth year in a row. The first two Julia rowed for WWU, last year she watched in Tennessee, as intern coach for UW Women's team and this year she watched as assistant women's rowing coach for the University of Miami Hurricanes. There was an online promise to provide live video coverage, which I set up a login for and found not to function. "No video found." So, I "watched" the Jamco coverage, a cartoon update of the course, with <'s and team names put in relative position, as though they are racing right to left, with split times. I've got the Women's Div I Four grand final up on the screen beside this. 500 meters in, Washington (UW) is in first place. They won their heat, the only UW team to do so. They're ahead at the 1000, but had a slower split time than both Virginia and Brown, so things may change at the 1500. They'd better be pouring it on! Virginia is in first place at the 1500, with washington behind by .22 seconds. but with slower split time, so Virginia was moving on them, and, unless they catch fire on the sprint, they're going to be left behind. They WON, with a split time of 1:50.84, compared to Virginia's split of 1:52.71. Good for them!

No comments: