Thursday, June 05, 2008

Crossword Poem Draft from NY Times, June 2, 08


And, for example, I won't eat veal.
You can get seven bullies, an octet,
hire someone from the KGB or KAOS,
I won't back down, principled as Arlo
at the induction center or Mehta
facing a tuba player with a tin ear.
To provide another instance, an ogre
at the door, I won't let him in. Ties
me in a fancy knot, but keep an eye on
me and you'll see I'm for real. Jeez,
just hand over the comics section
and lower your blank blank firearm,
my clock is ticking and it's no Casio.
What's up your rear? I've gotta ask.
Not to get in front of myself, but as a
pig's gotta be suspicious of the apple
at a luau, I'm watching earth's orbit
and it's got a bit of a hump for a sphere.
See, what I'm saying is I know arts,
martial, and lately, disappearing.
It will take more than your watercolor
set to fill in these widening blanks.
Have you heard of the expanding
universe? Do you wonder what that
means for you? Two weeks, I'd say,
off your life based on last week's tally,
though calculation never has eased
disappointment so I understand your
angry stance here. Put out? Me too,
but get an air date, dude, and leave.
You're the Lone Ranger? I'm not Tonto
to let you run the show like an Earl
out of England or whatever ragtag
title you've imagined. You're atop
what, here? I'll check what's on tap
and you've got it, the lovely Rita
there too. So what you're a mole
a lot of people plead blindness, belly
ache, think the luge is just another sled.

2 comments:

beth coyote said...

This is hilarious. Dean Young-ish.

XXX Beth

Laura Gamache said...

thank you Beth! xo