Thursday, May 29, 2008

The poet across from me at dinner
attends a dream class. Her brother
is schizophrenic. The difference she
says is that she is able to find her
way back. I don't want to discuss
my dreams - sitting high school tests
with babies in tow, waterless pools,
my teeth clicking together in my
hand. I wonder what she put into
the salmon sauce, if I can borrow
her bike. I plot all day to swipe
lilacs from along this winding road
discover everyone and their dog
walking the next morning at 6 am.
I stomp Powder Point bridge's
wood planks, wander beige sand,
beachcomb the dumped gravel at
high tide, surprise a brown rabbit
humped among the hosta coming
home. Car tires crunch the drive
and I grab lilac branch and yank.

2 comments:

Radish King said...

I love this. I steal lilacs. Every time I read this poem I think that she has somehow poisoned the salmon. I love my read and I'm sticking to it. I wonder what she put into the salmon sauce

HOLY CRAP I HOPE IT'S NOT BLEACH!

Like that. That's how I basically read poetry. Never trust anything I say about poetry. I'm 99% wrong.

love,
Rebecca

Laura Gamache said...

Yeah, I reread it and felt like that too, and I like it!