Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It is so public in the public space when
sitting in The Hot Chocolate Sparrow
with latte and laptop here in Orleans
on the Cape. Is this your paper? and
now I've lost escape route through
Sheffer through my too literal honesty.

I came down yesterday through rain
and windshield wiper drone, around
the round about into town and then
out a sand track to watch Sue and Roy
transplant shrubs, backhoe in their
drive , lumber stacked for their remodel.
House plans in my hand, blue certainty
of front elevations. I am melancholy
too this morning under the bright sun.
Planting lilacs partway into maple shade,
Sue said she will never again marry, is
committed as any, disillusioned. She
meant she said no disrespect. I want
her to say more, but drag a hose to soak
the lilac plunked into its hole. She joins Roy
winding yellow twine around a cement
post, to the Highlander's back bumper.
Roy puts the truck in drive, eases forward.
They're in work clothes, I stand around.

No comments: