Friday, October 08, 2010

Some days the log in protocols are too much
I stare at this same box - don't you remember me?
Far from home my identity is slippery, pourous,
as liftable as the fog above the lake. I make
mistakes - want validation from my machine.
Perhaps the vaccuum cleaner handle behind
the couch can verify who I am. Simpson sky
this could be Springfield. Somebody's calzone
smells overdone here at the coffee shop. My
students' final drafts sit in the car; I sit here.

Outside after six, my friends the great horned
owls spoke haltingly as I swept the steps.
A large bird waded by the stick that when
reflected later in the day looks like a wishbone.
I tripped on a rock which sent the bird aloft.
I'd wanted to sneak to my outdoor seat
to watch it drowse and rise. I set my pillow
on the log and waited, concentrated on my
breath, or tried - a large bird flew past, low,
I think it was an owl. Two geese conversed
somewhere in the tall grass behind me,
they flew too. The sky flamed a pink so
provocatively alive it frizzled my eyes.
Soon the white pelicans will get the telegram
from their bones or bellies and fly away.
Yesterday none visible near my house,
though a dozen rafted near Modoc Point Road
among the wocus pods.

4 comments:

beth coyote said...

I took a walk round and back at Seward Park just now and the turtles were PILED UP on all the sunny logs. They have the secret of life. Lie in the sun. Live in the water. Oh yeah.

XX Beth

Laura Gamache said...

I love, love, love the piled-up turtles!

Radish King said...

These two poems this one and the one above are stunning and thoughtful and really really really good. Thank you.
love,
Rebecca

Laura Gamache said...

Oh, Rebecca, thank you! xo