Wednesday, October 06, 2010

in the locker room at the pool where we swim outside
in suits and now shower, nude, the woman across from me
says, "joy is the antidote to sorrows." Then she says, "if
you want to save the world, do something that gives you
joy and happiness expands into the world." We'd been
swimming, which, she said, gave her joy. It buoys me
up and up like the giggles of this little girl at the next
table. Joy to the world. It smells of skunk in this cafe,
which bodes well, the old timers say, for a hard winter,
which we need, here in drought country with the
biggest lake west of the Mississippi right beside us.
My swim friend says swimming at the outdoor pool
is even better when it's snowing. "Put your towel in a bag,
turn your flip flops upside down on the deck and swim."
Snow pats your back like a friend, the geothermal
heated water makes "you feel like you're in the ritziest
ski resort in the west." 32 degrees f predicted for tonight,
we could be near to snow. I'll get in the car and go
swimming.

4 comments:

Radish King said...

Oh I want to know if you went snow swimming. How luxurious. Used to do it on rare occasion in Colman Pool in West Seattle.
love,
Rebecca

Laura Gamache said...

no snow yet - another skunk dead on the road so it's coming soon! I'll definitely report!
my login letters: ricoma

beth coyote said...

I want to swim there!!!!!

Laura Gamache said...

no snow swimming yet - cold at night (28 expected tonight) but into the 60s during the day - I'm post-swim fuzzy and have the feeling I wrote before. Too much effort to scroll down. Every muscle spent in the pool!