Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Snowline halfway up my driveway
Snow sifting from sky in Chiloquin
supplanting rain, though I saw
the waning gibbous moon night
before last awake (the both of us)
about two am.

Taking ten students to Bend
not the girl braiding the other's hair
and not the boys sharing an iPod
perhaps the boy who offered me
a shiv for free jokingly. The girl
whose poem made me cry
had better apply, and the one
I hope is not pregnant.

We read two poems by Jimmy
Santiago Baca and my thought
after the teacher left the room
to have the principal sign
her loan forgiveness documents
and the students took that
as sign that playtime had begun
my thought was what gives?
my thought was why am I here
when I'm so lonely the tears
leapt out of my eyes looking
at the one deeply good poem
written in the room as I walked
desk to desk pretending
I didn't notice their disrespect
and felt useless. Jimmy wrote
in "This Day" to get silly
as robins fussing in the bough
hanging over the ditch.
I'm on it, on it on it.

2 comments:

beth coyote said...

Bless you laura darling for being there for them. I like to think it goes in, somehow, somewhere the poems leap up and save a life. X Beth

Lyn said...

I hope it got better. I have to say, you capture that feeling of being isolated very well. They just don't know any better, you know? I hope the trip to Bend does something. You are awesome.

xoxo

Save room for me at your house for Thanksgiving -

Lyn