Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Insula Dulcamara (1938)


I insulate myself from my inner beast --
blur my vision, hear the Muzak, practice scat.
You sing me Cain and what he did to Abel
as if we never had a dealing with Jack Welch.
I remember Carolyn and her mother Cora
Dore and throw them in my brain in front of Tito
but what do I know, I hear the crowd aroar
there's more to cooking geese than ovens.
Do we remember what we must not do unto
the meek? You tell me I am ... breaking up.
Cats extend their knives, the birds flock, etc.
USA Today has no pie chart for this, no arc
that makes any, ...can you hear me now?
I sing I love technology, loud and yet again
while nonsense calls me like a loving Dada.
Ostriches and chickens offer eggs, in coop
or praire what they give are ova over arias
unt uber allas what do we know but Mt. Etna
every one Vesuvial, every Dick and hairy Tom.
Beauty was a wall flower, her petals open
bruised and underused, our disapproval tacit
a tisket a tasket, you say, ...I didn't catch that.
The lights are bright at MSN and AOL
and do not make them diamonds, mhyrr, ore,
yet all you say to me ..., I'll try redialing.

No comments: