Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sitting in the K Falls Library with ee cummings, Emily Dickinson and the Dickman twins. I've closed Michael's "The End of the West," a poem too raw to let me rummage through like I
usually do. He's brave, this brother. Matthew is more Whitmanesque, protective of
his readers. Michael's more f*(& you, this happened. Oh. What happened yesterday 7th period
(and I thought I was over this but apparently not, I can't stop telling anybody) was a direct
punch to the face, aslant only in that the wielder of the blow was shorter than the receiver. How hair trigger how match to sparkler how falling star fast what happened IS.
I said, "This has to stop." I said, "Stop!" My voice pitched low, I lunged towards what was now a bear hug, the room afire with adrenaline and desire for this to escalate. A troubled class,
ten boys. And where was the certified teacher? And what does a poet know to do?
I knew one thing: this had to stop. I made the boys separate. It stopped. The punchee energized and giddy, the puncher laid his head on the desk partly hidden by his jacket, the room awash in racket that lifted like geese, laboriously and continuously, the rest of the period.

4 comments:

beth coyote said...

Wow. I just have weird neighbors.

~Beth

Laura Gamache said...

Weirdness abounds in the basin baby.

Lyn said...

Wow. You rock. Really.

Laura Gamache said...

Tuesday the punchee saw me in class and walked away down the hall. One of the boys said, "fight, fight, fight" and I said, "write, write, write" and he said, "ah, you agree with me" and I said, "homonym"