Thursday, July 20, 2006

The author may plant in his text his enigmas. - Alan Davies

Using a trowel and an eyedropper, I set forth to plant my enigmas.
me
The enigma may be no more enigmatic to a reader than is the rest of the text,
Alan D.
but, really, what is an enigma, and why is it spelled with a silent g?
me
The enigma is chosen as a special burden,
Alan D.
Swell. I'll have to pass.
me
The enigma, cued only to itself, faces nothing.
Alan D.
Which, once again, has me in mind of my mother.
me
The enigma is impoverished in context.
Alan D.
Ah! Now we're getting somewhere. The little matchgirl, snow, etc.
me
The enigma does not exist in the tangled limits of nature.
Alan D.
Oh, sorry. No snow then.
me
An enigma cannot be plural;
Alan D.
This just makes me sad.
me
The enigma must not be made to speak itself in any direction.
Alan D.
No fun at parties, then.
me
The enigma is consigned, ordered.
Alan D.
No hot pants, no scotch and sodas at noon.
me
It (the enigma) does not need to be there.
Alan D.

No comments: