Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Garrulous

What sort of spelling is this? Garrulous: from Latin, means excessively talkative, especially on trivial matters, which means I'll need to edit the last post, as I did not mean to imply that Peter Matthiessen was overly talkative, and especially not to demean his subject matter, although, had I been in a pissy mood I might have thought both, so perhaps he was garrulous, and it may be that garrulousness is not necessarily a bad thing in a speaker when one wants to spend time in that speaker's company.

I particularly appreciated the lack of the Seattle Arts & Lectures question that marks nearly every reading: what is your writing process? Variations: where and when do you write? What are your writing rituals? Do you write on a yellow pad or compose on computer? I guess that person got stuck in traffic tonight. Peter Matthiessen may have headed that one off at the pass by mentioning a rugged notebook he uses, always journaling on right sides only, left sides left for later notes and add-ins. He also uses a little ring notebook to write things others say that he must copy immediately. He gave the example of boating in the Everglades and encountering a local guy, evidence of bad fishing day (empty beer cans, bait mess). The guy said, "You seen any fish that might like a ride in my boat?" I put that in quotations, but I think it's a bad paraphrase.

I heard today on NPR that there are 60,000 new blogs begun every day. No wonder I have 0 comments on every one of my posts. One rejection letter composer accused my story of being chatty. Bet she gave up on spelling garrulous.

No comments: