Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Perhaps I can add a stick figure image of my grand daughter (granddaughter?) to this blog. I try to download images from my computer and the command line shows a whirring do hickey while the blogspot drafting board shows a couple of little chicklets lining up along a line with spaces for many little chicklets - I go off down the hall, return to the same scene and conclude that the stick figure or imagination are my choices as far as image goes, at least as long as I'm here along Lake Chelan, far from Comcast's fat fast cable.

In other news, it is cooler today at Lake Chelan, cool and quiet as even when there are folks in the houses along the cove they stay indoors on days like these or go off to wineries or town. Chelan now has its own appellation from the AVA - it is its own region, not a subset of the Yakima Valley appellation as before. Chelan growers specialize in white wine grapes - your Rieslings, Gewurztraminers, Viogners, and Pinots. They import the reds from the Yakima Valley and blend them to make many red wines, some good, all more expensive than the $10 a bottle I keep as my spending limit. I prefer to buy $15 wines for $10 - always look at those bright colored tags meant for those like me and perhaps factual.

I like words for commotion and disorder: hubbub, brouhaha, hurly-burly, hullabaloo, rumpus.

4 comments:

TC said...

Hi Laura,

I'm not the Lewis & Clark Clark (wish I were, it would make me two decades younger than I am!), but I like your blog, so I'm glad we tangled wires.

The word "do hickey", speaking of interesting folk artifacts from the past--I use it in my head all the time but not outloud, because nowadays it would be like trying to speak Martian with earthlings.

Lovely word, far superior to its equally venerable siblings "thingamabob" and "whatchmacallit".

Today, alas, we are left with only the one size-fits-all "thingy".

Laura Gamache said...

Thanks TC - and isn't the ether an odd place?! Thanks for reminding me of "do hickey" - !

beth coyote said...

I like kattywhumpus myself.

Laura Gamache said...

YES! YES! YES!