Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Tell Me That You Love Me, Baby Q

Another night with no phone call to come to the birthing center,
My daughter thinks maybe the placenta's gone rogue
My son-in-law undulates an arm, says "One-armed squid,"
we all laugh though my younger daughter, squeamish,
squeezes her face and makes retching noises. That belly
bulges enormous, baby maybe seven maybe nine pounds
and growing. My younger daughter's dog leaps at the bulge -
"Dogs do that," my daughter says. They want to get at
that little being. That little being we want to get at too.
Count those fingers and toes, snuffle that fuzzy head.

2 comments:

beth coyote said...

Oh honey. Waitin' for a baby, grandma! They're so delicious, those babes. I will think about all of you and send peaceful birthing vibes.

Laura Gamache said...

Hey Beth, she's here she's here! and astonishingly beautiful! ANOTHER COMMON PLACE MIRACLE!