Monday, April 13, 2009

The hail unzips the sky with a sound between moan
and panic attack. My heart brattatats as I copy
notes into a smeared journal. Nothing today lulls
or consoles me. He says "it's not your money"
and I cower in my workroom but do not work.
What were these thirty two years if not to share
but he's too in despair to care he's wounded me
as he feels cornered without choices, all mine
meaningless when one can hurt the other with
few words and nothing but the pain is real.
It's not my money or my house and the car
outside hit by hail pellets is yellow but isn't mine.
I have no shoes on but if I had they would be his
not mine. None of it mine, though the law would
say they're mine or half. One shoe a half a car
the toothpaste tube but not the cap the withered
almonds on the pantry floor but not the door.
I hate days like these that pry the mouldings
from around the windows, tramp mud through
my, excuse me, his, rooms, show me my wishy-
washy self too frightened to stand up too angry
to run. I have no sword to sunder him limb
from limb no hatchet to chop a pound from
round his heart and he would say I've chopped
a pound from his or albatrossed his neck with
me and all my piddling need and greed and this
another screed we never agreed I'd write. It's
me, it's not alright. You're unhappy, you lash
and the floor's gone out from under the spinning
funhouse ride that turns me white and puking.
But I go to show you I won't give up or in and
I won't quit you or you me though how we got
here neither one can say a map between us
crumpled, torn, the roads rerouted, both
of us together and alone.

2 comments:

A K Mimi Allin said...

Dear Lenin Poet leader of the children,
A representative from the Universe Fremont Blog was there at the Lenin Poems reading on Fruday. I told him that a 6th grade class had written poem about Lenin. "If you can get them out here reading, please let me know," he said. And so, I urge you to... I would love to organize the kids to come to the statue to read their poems aloud. I have a paper bullhorn that says "The Lenin Poems" on it. What more do we need? Let me know when... Yes?

Laura Gamache said...

It would have been so cool - they're so short
so sixth grade funny
(my kind of funny)
and such poets.

THANKS!