Monday, November 10, 2008


I love that Brok O Bama!
"To the Best of Our Knowledge" on my transistor radio
Patricia Smith, whose Blood Dazzler is on the National
Book Award short list, Jay Parini who quoted Auden
like mad, and Australian poet, Les Murray, fathered by
a man with "an addiction to grief," who said, "I abhor
anything that demands human sacrifice." Last night,
in Chiloquin, Oregon, where we do, yes we do, celebrate
culture and poetry. Jay Parini, a poet, has written a
book called Why Poetry Matters and reminded me how
it does. Patricia Smith led with a poem about a girl
whose mother was known as a drug addict who asked
her to help her write a poem about her mother - dead -
that celebrated the person who sang while braiding
the girl's hair. The question Patricia Smith asked those
Miami-Dade County kids, was, who knows someone
who is dead. "I do," forty hands shot up, "I know a
dead person." Parents dead of AIDS and friends gone
to violence, and six year olds in need of voices, and
she realized that writing poetry is like having a second
throat, and that we poets, climbing to the lectern,
composing our poems, wield a very real power.

No comments: