Thursday, March 06, 2008

3/6/08 Sheffer Crossword Poem

A flicker plies phone wire. Air blower blats nigh -
bird lifts, peanut cheroot, wire twanging from the sag.
If I were a real birder I'd memorize mohawk or tam
chant genera et cetera. That's not my area.
This entire opening a ploy
to lull you we're observing spring biota
while underneath I've got Tim Burton
his Zappa hair but you don't care I'm not your mom
in spring at school I penned immolation, ossify
admired tattoos and tights and all the blazing glaze
that meant exempt to
not accept the wheel
that's life. I was on the outs
with every oven's pie
remote as Alps
(which may not be how would I know?)
hills and dales I refused to go o'er
in those old smelly springs ere
have a good day sent me semi
comatose. I never tongue kissed LSD.
This isn't about me you know
Jesus wanted me for a sunbeam but I'm a comet
that with luck will fizzle through dark not an
April afternoon oblivious fauna
humping as I orient
for flashy burn which is our
Millay though Ms. McGraw
faded fair in love
I would not be her muling heir.

3 comments:

Amanda Laughtland said...

I love flickers--we had a pair hanging out in our yard regularly for a while, but I haven't seen them lately.

Laura Gamache said...

My neighbors who look down on our house have seen flickers all the time on top of our carport, but we never have! With this new workroom window I'm seeing them. Hurrah!

beth coyote said...

I tongue kissed ON LSD. does that count?

PS-You are on fire, mamma-lou!