Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Life is Never Meaningless, There is Always Food

Dog Kibble: A Villanelle


Life is never meaningless: there is always food.
All day I sit upon the stairs, nose between the bars,
and consider kibble – its smell, its taste, its mood –

and I am happy. We walk back to the woods
after lunch (me and the humans) and under leaves there are
so many dark crunchy things to eat that I should

not eat but I eat anyway. They are so good!
Even when they make me sick at home or in the car,
I like them. I like to eat. I brood

about the taste of kibble hours before it’s chewed.
They keep my meals in the kitchen in a plastic jar.
Don’t put me on your couch, please, Dr. Freud,

I’m sweet and simple and I’m good.
When I’m sad or sick, not up to par,
I sleep downstairs curled near the toilet. I’m not crude.

I’ve known shame, and joy, and I have viewed
delicious sights. I don’t wander. I don’t go far.
Life isn’t meaningless because there’s food.
Consider kibble: its smell, its taste, its mood.

-Charles Baxter

2 comments:

Amanda Laughtland said...

Hey, Laura, it's nice to find your blog! I would very much like to send you some tiny publications I've made (I bet your students would get a kick out of them), but I don't have your mailing address. If you would email me at bookishly at yahoo dot com, I'll put some stuff in the mail to you. :) For more on my little zines and stuff, you might like to visit my website.

Laura Gamache said...

Hi Amanda! I would LOVE to see/get your zines! (oh yeah, and the kids would be interested too.)