Monday, September 18, 2006

Ninetieth Post


Who doesn't think I take seriously my obligations as a literary blogger? Huh?

Getting ready to enter a class of fourth graders this morning - we'll be playing Acronymble, a game invented by a friend of a friend (both of these people highly dedicated writer-types) wherein you draw x number of Scrabble tiles from a bag and must make up an acronym to go with those letters in the order they were pulled out of the bag. Example: r, m, d are drawn from the sack. Reckless misogonystic dromedaries is a legal acronymble. Marvelous dandelion revelations is an illegal acronymble. After we play a few rounds of A., we'll write lunes from the words in the games (each kid will have their own cache of words, though we'll all have played from the same x number of letters. I have no intention of talking in this blog or in the classroom about crookneck squash, although if letters come out C and S in that order you can bet that combo will show up on my paper.

2 comments:

Radish King said...

Gorgeous photo and a good way to generate words for poems I think, too.
xxoo

Laura Gamache said...

I love this as a poem word generator - it amazes me the words kids come up with in this context - someone who would be writing "I like my friends. My mother bought me new pants." creates Acronymbles like "Xenophobic cheetas entrance reckless albatrosses." No kidding.