Thursday, May 11, 2006

X Ways of Looking at Trees

1.

Below office towers
the only living thing
was a line of sycamores

2.

I was of many minds
like the profusion
of volunteer sumac

3.

quaking aspen leaves
applauded wildly, a tiny
part of the approaching storm

4.

the lavender and the lambs ears are one
the lavender and the lambs ears and the cherry tree are one

5.

I can't decide which I prefer,
solace of shade or sight of falling leaves,
the big leaf maple in August or October

6.

I quicken my pace to walk
through the threatening gestures
of the cedar trees

7.

O City People's gardeners
why do you plant mature trees?
Do you not see the maple starts
under your work boots?

8.

I know your scientific names
and can follow your taxonomies
but I know too
that you are oblivious
to all I know.

No comments: